What platform/theme do you recommend for a deals website?

Hi. What platform/theme do you recommend for a deals website?

All depends on the type of deals website you are trying to create.

Sites like dansdeals.com which are formatted like a blog you would want to build on WordPress.

For sites like locolow.com you would want to use WordPress with WooCommerce.

You can also use Shopify.com but I favor WordPress for a deals site over Shopify because with WordPress you have full control over every aspect of design and even functionality whereas with Shopify you don’t. Shopify would be great for a site you are actually selling products and accepting payments.

The WooCommerce theme I most enjoy working with is Flatsome which is the #1 best selling WooCommerce theme on Themeforest with over 102,500 sales.

Thanks for the response. Do you recommend to hire someone to do the install or is it easy to do on my own?

Great question.

There are many steps involved in setting up a deals website properly. If you want the site to look sharp and professional that will require some design expertise as well.

Can you set up WordPress, install a theme, and set up the site yourself? Probably, but at a cost. It can take you significant time and even after all that it may not look good unless you have an eye for design as well. For example, a professional can spend 20 hours setting up and designing everything so that you can launch your site quickly. If someone without experience tried to do the same it can take them 60+ hours.

Personally, I love learning new things and figuring out how to use different software so I always choose to set up my own sites… That’s how I became an expert at designing and setting up WordPress and Shopify websites.

But for many, it’s just not something they care much about and for them, it is almost always just worth hiring a professional to set up everything from the very beginning so you can just focus on getting your business started right away.

While the steps to getting set up may seem straightforward there really is a learning curve. You need to learn how WordPress works and then you need to learn how to use the theme and then you need to design and set up everything.

If you’d like to hire me to set up everything for you please DM me (click on my profile picture).

Thanks, I appreciate your response. I have done some website setup in the past with wix and Shopify and used someone to install a WordPress site but did the setup myself. So I’m going to give it shot. Thanks again.

If enough people are interested, I’d show everyone step by step live so they can follow along and set up their own sites along with me.

2 Likes

That would be very helpful to watch, and rewatch.
Can you please add to the post what the common security issues are and how to protect yourself?

That’s definitely something I’d be interested in

Can you do a post like this for setting up a blog on WordPress.

I once did it, but can’t remember the steps, and I’d like start a new blog site.

I’m trying to create a new site now WordPress.com, and there’s no free option when selecting “use my existing domain”. I don’t recall ever paying for WordPress.

Thanks

Here is a link to free WordPress.com https://wordpress.com/pricing/

Do you specifically want to use WordPress.com and not have full control by using WordPress.org?

Not specifically. Last time I went through cloudways, and used WordPress. I’m not sure why I was instructed to do it that way. Any insight? :smirk:

After spending several hours today on WordPress - let me rephrase my question.

What is the simplest “plug and play” platform to use for creating a simple blog website?

Wordpress is great bec you can customize everything but it’s very very time consuming to get set up especially if you aren’t experienced with WP.

“But for many, it’s just not something they care much about and for them, it is almost always just worth hiring a professional to set up everything from the very beginning so you can just focus on getting your business started right away”

Any recommendations?

So its true that WordPress con be confusing for someone unfamiliar with it. So there are two options if you do not want to become familiar with WordPress:

1. Find someone to setup everything for you on WordPress. Once everything is setup it is extremely simple and straightforward to publish posts.

2. Use other blogging software (with limited features) that make it easier to setup yourself.

Here are some alternatives to WordPress for blogging:

1. Ghost and their theme marketplace.
  2. Bloggi.co
  3. Medium

There are dozens more but these are these ones that came to mind at the moment. Each platform has their pros and cons. You need to understand what your objectives are and then you can check which platform is the best fit.