Poor Mutual Fund

Hi,

I have a mutual fund (FSMVX) which has been down 15% since it was purchased five years ago. In general, I try to stay away from mutual funds, but once I had, I have been keeping it. Unfortunately, it has been doing very poorly and after 5 years I think it’s time to reconsider.

I was wondering if anyone in the forum could help me with my decision.

1. Is it time to pull out?
  2. Is there any reason to stay with a fund once you have it? (There are no front or back load fees)
  3. Is this a fund that may do better when the market is worse?
  4. If I should pull out, is it best to do over time or all at once?

If anyone has any suggestions or input at all, I would love to hear it!

Thanks guys!

There are a few points to discuss here.

There has never been an investment that always only went up. Life has its ups and downs. Investments have their ups and downs. The fact that an investment went down isn’t a concern to me in most cases. The question is why did it go down? Is it something fundamental/longterm/permanent or is it just the normal ups and downs of investments and the markets?

Also, something to understand, sometimes the market goes down a lot and “wipes out” all or most of your gains from the past few years. But as we mentioned before it these drops can be temporary. So while today it looks like you only made 15% over the last 5 years it’s actually possible your investment gained 50% but recently dropped 35% temporarily due to something in the market… I am not talking specifically about your investment because I know nothing about it. I am just sharing something to be considered when reviewing your investments.

One of the biggest mistakes newbie investors make is selling based on emotions. What they do is they sell as soon as the stock drops in value because they think they will lose all their money. So they sell at a loss. Then the stock goes back up and these newbie investors jump back in because they feel like they will lose out on a great investment which has been rising. These people lose their money very quickly.

Now back to your specific question about your specific investment, I don’t know anything about this fund. But you should figure out what your overall investment strategy is and what your goals are. If you are looking to get a great return on your investment then these mutual funds don’t give you much of a return. In general, the higher the risk the higher the returns and the lower the risk the lower the returns. If you want to make significant returns you need to explore “riskier” investments that offer greater returns. You will never become a wealthy person by putting your money in a savings account.